(temporary for 6-8 months, starting in Sept/Oct 2017)
We are looking for a talented and open-minded student who is fond of programming and who is interested in doing the research for his/her Master`s or Bachelor`s thesis in the Medicinal Chemistry Department at BI?s Oncology research site in Vienna. This work will be part of a large initiative to strengthen BI?s compound design capabilities by computational methods.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Developing and deploying fast and robust computational methods for compound design. This may include the use of quantum chemistry and/or knowledge mining of structural databases on high-performance computing clusters
- Design intuitive user interfaces for compound design in close collaboration with the medicinal chemists
- Keen scientists will also have the opportunity to contributing to fundamental scientific aspects which are aimed at increasing the accuracy and robustness of theory-driven and knowledge-based drug design
Boehringer Ingelheim offers competitive compensation. This position is remunerated according to qualification in regard to full-time employment with an annual total target of not less than € 18,600.-- gross.
- Master?s or Bachelor?s degree students in Theoretical Chemistry, Information Technology or related field (Computational Life Sciences, Bio-/Chemoinformatics, Quantum Chemistry, Scientific Software Design, Software Development, Pharmacy)
- Excellent programming skills in a commonly used programming or scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl, Java, C ) are essential
- Experience with a molecular modelling software package (e.g. MOE, Maestro, LigandScout) is preferred
- A solid understanding of chemistry and reasonable knowledge of the drug discovery process is crucial, background in quantum chemistry and/or structural chemistry would be advantageous
- Full command of German and/or English
- Good communication and team-work skills
Would you like to write your thesis in cooperation with an international pharmaceutical company? We are offering qualified support and the possibility to combine theoretical knowledge with practical experience. Inspire us with your ideas and send your application stating your desired topic.
Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the world?s 20 leading pharmaceutical companies. Headquartered in Ingelheim, Germany, Boehringer Ingelheim operates globally through 145 affiliates and a total of some 50,000 employees. The focus of the family-owned company, founded in 1885, is on researching, developing, manufacturing and marketing new medications of high therapeutic value for human and veterinary medicine. In 2015, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of about 14.8 billion euros. R&D expenditure corresponds to 20.3 per cent of net sales.
Your application will be reviewed by our recruiting team as well as the respective department. Therefore, we do not state a specific contact person and kindly ask you to use a general salutation in your application.